- Operating the crane safely
- Responding to recognized crane signals accurately
- Correct positioning of the crane
- Altering jib lengths and associated safety devices
- Routine plant maintenance and minor adjustments
- Safe load indicators and duties charts
- Chains, slings and lifting gear
- Crane capabilities and safety precautions
- Basic theory of power units, transmission systems and control systems
- Understanding and interpreting duties charts
- Understanding how to programme safe load indicators
- The effects of radius change on the safe working capacity
- Statutory regulations and Codes of Practice applicable to lifting operations
- Effects of shock loading on structural strength, stability and load displacement
- Principles of safe slinging and the types and capacities of chains, slings and lifting gear
- The correct and safe use of outriggers
- Transport regulations and preparing for travel on the public highway
Candidate will gain knowledge and competance to competently and safely carry out the plant operators role.
Teaching is carried out both in a classroom environment teaching theory and within a simulated working environment with candidates using the plant machinery and practically applying the theory.
CPCS Theory & Practical Testing takes place on the last day of the course.
This course will give delegates a CPCS Red Trained Operator card (on successful completion of both CPCS Technical Tests).
Trained Operator Card (RED)
The Trained Operator Card confirms a level of core skills, knowledge and understanding that can be applied in the workplace until measured as competent against national standards. Experienced and able operators may hold a Trained Operator Card whilst being measured against national standards through an SVQ or NVQ.
Competent Operator Card (BLUE)
The Competent Operator Card tells the observer that the holder has demonstrated a level of health and safety awareness through the CITB Health, safety and environment test, underpinning knowledge previously through a CPCS theory test, operating ability previously through a CPCS practical test and operating competence on the type of plant (evidenced by an SVQ or NVQ or employer confirmation of competence).
Sign up for a Blue CPCS Vocational Qualification here.
Pre-requisites: You must have a basic understanding and knowledge of current Health & Safety issues. The relevant CITB Health Safety & Environment touchscreen test must be current and in date (completed within the last 24 months).
If you are an approved CITB levy paying organisation then the theory and practical testing is eligible for a grant of £470.00 when a course is successfully completed.
Sibbald Training are an Approved Training Organisation with CITB, and will make the claim on your behalf if your company levy number is provided at the time of booking (or you can make the claim later direct if this information is not available).
Arrange your course with Sibbald
If pre-scheduled dates are not listed on this page, or if the dates published do not fit your requirement, please contact us as arrangements can be made to suit your needs.
Chat: Use our chat bot at the bottom right of this page.
Tel: 01501 750900