This course will cover each role within a utilities business, from the operative to the site manager, discussing the safe working practices and processes that must be followed including safe digging practices that can reduce cable strikes, and what to do in the event of a cable strike.
You must have experience working within the utilities industry either as an operative, supervisor, manager or health & safety advisor within the utilities industry.
- HASAWA- Employer & Employee duties
- Importance of training
- Hierarchy of control
- The importance of RAMS in excavating in the proximity of underground services.
- Importance of Permits to dig & permit to break ground
- Underground dangers and examples of damage
- Service strike examples
- HSE- What you need to know & What you need to do
- Planning the work & using Public utility drawing
- Who to contact to acquire drawings
- Emergency works planning
- Safe/Correct use of the Cat and genny
- Safe digging practices
- Service strike case studies
- Service strike- immediate action
- Types of service strikes
- Incident investigation- 4 steps:
- Gathering information
- Analysing the information
- Identifying risk control measures
- The action plan and its implementation
- What to expect post incident
Teaching is conducted using video, audio, slides, graphs, case studies and descriptive media.
Assessment will be carried out through written assessment and role-play scenarios.
Completion Certificates are issued by Sibbald Limited valid for 3 years.
Proof of industry experience is required to attend this course, this could be an Operative/Supervisor SWQR card or CV/letter which cites industry experience.
Arrange your course with Sibbald
If pre-scheduled dates are not listed on this page, or if the dates published do not fit your requirement, please contact us as arrangements can be made to suit your needs.
Chat: Use our chat bot at the bottom right of this page.
Tel: 01501 750900